Author Topic: Country fair RP event  (Read 26278 times)

Offline Timalia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Country fair RP event
« on: July 19, 2012, 04:01:04 pm »
strawman
That means a target at which to take shots...

Would you be interested in participating in an RP non-PK event along the lines of a country fair?
Individuals or groups (temples, clans) could RP their own booths.  They could be kissing booths or pie booths or ....   Make some suggestion. You could bring inventory from your shop to sell but it would be all barter and RP, no shop mechanism.

For my own part, I am willing to:
Supply up to 25 copies of a simple restring for you to use for the fair, products to sell or prizes to give.  
Submit to being the target in an "Imm dunking booth" (though I am hoping some others will take a turn as well) I believe this will entail authoring an mprog that gives some random chance of the Imm being dunked

I propose the event be sometime during the weekend of August 25 and will put up a pole to see when folk running a booth can come.  Perhaps Saturday evening Server time?

Would the arena be a good spot?  I'm thinking  just a few rooms, not necessarily one room per booth, though if there are lots of booths in one spot it could be pretty noisy

What do you think and how are you willing to be involved?

A few challenges - one of which is, if you are running a booth, how do you visit other folks booths?

T
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 04:17:58 pm by Timalia »

Offline Lance

• Styrian
    • View Profile
Re: Country fair RP event
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 04:33:30 pm »
Awesome! RP! Finally! Also, gods-rping! Finally! .. again!

I will totally try to think up a booth.. probably just be random items seeing as lance likes to make out hes a merchant.. ooooh... or juggling and whatnot, i know i have a bunch of juggling emotes somewhere..
Pity there arent many Asteri about, would be a good chance for them to actually play some music for once..

Could also be a banquet or two, with plenty of mead and whatnot, one big free-for-all of food, booze and RP!
Heaps of possibilities to include various past-events.. such as costume parties, talent shows.. people can close their boothes at the time of the show so they can all participate, then wander back when its over.

As far as the area, how about,.. . Kaeran forest? that one between naerlan and burrowhelm, its a 3x4 forest or somepin, i've allways quite liked it. Also RP wise it might be a little less grotty than where people go to fight^^ orrr.. there are the plains i think near aliuna? But near naerlan is probably best.. OOooohh... or perhaps the imms could somehow suspend the... that roaming-carnival.. yeah.. that one, suspend it near naerlan gates, combine the PC-booths with the NPC-booths!

Solve it!
Timalia mentioned the conundrum of how do you have people to participate in boothes if they're busy hosting their own.. . . which aside from "back in 5min" signs, i have no idea.. Someone solve!
Ahhhh, possible dodgey solution, just have one or two booths open at a time, RP wise this can be put down to that/those booth/s yelling the most.. or being the most recently set up.. you know, draws the crowd away from the other ones. Would also ensure a crowd of people watching for extra-rp! But.. dunno..

Also, in case people need bribing to actually take part in the RP and fun, lance is willing to offer prizes for the best booth, or a few prizes... 1-3rd favourite boothes, or most original, most visited.. .. .. most tasty? *shrugs helplessly* Lots of gold and goodies could be had though.. maybe even just a random "door prize" aswell, chance to win something for just showing up.

Oh, also, unless timalias going to be sporting a white shirt we might have to get durion or someone to be dunked.. you know.. someone we'd enjoy causing discomfort to.. .. . . .. could we change it to throwing rocks at? :P
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 05:32:53 pm by Lance »

Offline Erny

• Tzatru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 06:56:30 pm »
If it's rp, then I'm there, but it's going to be a free for all anyways unless PK is curbed for the event.  Otherwise, whatever happens is going to be nothing but battle spam.

Offline Lance

• Styrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 03:24:18 am »
Well tima allready said its a non pk event. I've allways taken an immortal saying that to mean "if you pk, we eat your corpse".
And i like to think most people who play AU will listen to such a blatant and simple rule.

Offline Timalia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 04:40:14 am »
Some more thoughts  -  more things to react to, take shots at ...

Do booth holders want to do a room desc for their booth?  In this case I could temporarily create a set of rooms just for the fair.

I like Lance's idea about awards for  the "best" booth. What categories make the best sense?
Tastiest food?  (I'm willing to do simple restrings, but do we need to expand this to food items?)
Best activity/performance?  this would cover things such as jugglers or some other "game"
Most original?  the concept of the booth?  or the room desc?

How would players vote for the booth?  suppose a mob handed out (on request) a set of tokens, one each for each prize category and players awarded them to the booth holder?

Ideas on the time frame?  when to start and how long to go?    and is Saturday PM better than Fri PM  (server time)

Offline Timalia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 04:21:23 pm »
To allow booth holders to visit other booths, what if we assign vendors to groups A B C and D.  First 15 min, group A closes and visits the others, second 15 min A opens and B closes, third 15 min of the hour, group C closes and B opens and the last 15 min of the hour group D closes and ABC are open.

Or perhaps there are 3 groups and 20 min intervals. .... 

Partly this depends on how many booths folk put up

I'm still open to other ideas
Tima

Offline Erny

• Tzatru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 08:13:15 pm »
Booths, simple restring with the TAKE flag removed.  Put no more than 2 or 3 booths per room.  Allow people to make interactive booths, if they are willing.  For example, should Erny participate, she may choose to have a male pixie dunking booth.  She would have some (unnamed) male pixie hanging by his feet above a vat of some undescribable fluid, and participants could through balls at a target to dunk him.  The prog shouldn't be to hard to do.  Interactive booths would obviously need to have a bit more lead time, and you would want to ensure that they are not put in the same room with each other.  Perhaps a higher cost for them, or if you are willing to do them for free, that's up to you.  Other ideas for booths could be a dunking for apples type of event, with random, minimal prizes.  Greased pig races would be another fairly simple one.  I'm just trying to put forth a few ideas that won't require a team of people 2 weeks to write and trouble shoot the progs.  This negates the needs of having characters standing around in front of their booths, which, let's be honest, unless they are selling something, is a waste of time.  Even if they are looking to sell something, it could be easily done with a prog.  We don't want people moving the contents of their entire shops to this, we want keep sakes and momentos.  Something unique, even if it has no intrinsic value.

Food, if you're willing could also come from booths.  Pies, cotton candy, meat on a stick, etc.  Perhaps a few extra booths could be created that aren't player owned.  Or you could make them appear to be player owned.  Let a few of the booths that are added for background be from players who are no longer playing.  So Felicia (I always liked that name, and I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally walked into her manor) could have a booth at the event.  That way Tima can fill in the blanks, as it were, to have a full event.

I think giving a full room for each booth could get large in a hurry.  The point of the thing is the RP and player interaction, and if we have 10 players participate, with 10 rooms, then they may never even bump into each other.  I also suggest leaving it up for the weekend, but have set times for specific events.  So players can walk through and enjoy the scenery whenever they want, but a few immortal inspired RP events at specific times to drive up the RP.  Perhaps a talent contest.  The Halloween talent contest was hilarious and great fun, and there's no reason that we can't do something similar for this.  Heck, we could even have an animal contest by allowing people to turn their pets into farm animals.  The prize for such a thing could be just a ribbon, since we're not looking to penalize people for not being writers, but rather to encourage them to participate in RP.

Lance's original idea of a banquet would be another great immortal run RP event.  Sort of a kicking off event.  It would also rock is a few of the immortals showed up.  Then the mortals can all be sat at the kiddie table, but at least the characters could "see" that this is something for the world.

More later.... I can't find the note I've been writing on all week with ideas, but I think this is more of them anyways.  I'll write more, if I ever find that note.

Offline Lance

• Styrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 03:02:18 pm »
I feel the more pertinent question is: Should booths be mprogs or pure RP?

Yeah, i know pure RP booths wont be anywhere as cool, and will revolve around peoples own opinions of their own characters as to the actual deciding factors of a booth. and require the creators attendance.. but.. some of us wouldnt be able to do MPROGs, or even be able to get friends to do them for us.. and clearly an mprog booth will beat most RP booths that pop up.

Perhaps all RP-booths are in one section of judging, the mprogs in a different one.

I know RP booths would be kind of hard to work, but they are things people can possibly do them self. And you dont necessarily need mprogs. If theres some site/program that does random rolls anyone can make a booth, with a roll thats made for the outcome, and random outcomes depending on whats rolled... . .just a thought... Mprogs are awesome, but something we can all do ourselves would be quite neat.

That being said, dont be limited to booths. If you're asteri, then provide music for the on goings.. if you're mentmacro then present baskets of whatever fruit you can find, markovians can offer their protection as valiant guards.. Barbadians could be.. the maids of the thing? *smirk*

I feel the most important factor is: You turn up. The banquet alone should provide all kinds of possibilities for RP.

Offline Timalia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 06:45:39 pm »
It was my vision that this be an RP event, not an alternate Wittra Wagon. 
If a limited time one goes well, perhaps a weekend long one at another date is something to consider, but this last year there's rarely been more than 4 folk participating in imm quests (at least those that I've run) so stretching it out doesn't seem rational.

I can do food items, one per vendor, limited quantity, but only with the understanding that they are NOT collectible.  To be consumed at the fair

It does seem to me that one booth per room (or two if some folk want to collaborate) is reasonable.  More might make it too "noisey'   

Folk could provide their own booth room descs as well as their food and simple restring descs.  BTW, simple restrings WOULD be collectible.

Why would anyone care if folk took stuff from their shops (or stuff that they acquired anywhere in the land)  and sold it at the fair ? There won't be a shop mechanism, it would be straight face to face bartering?

So far I've heard one play say SURE and three POSSIBLY. 

Offline Markov

• Lord of Earth and Stone
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Adventures Unlimited
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 08:47:25 pm »
they can be flagged area only and kept to the fair grounds that way. if it's it's own area.
Markov,
Implementor and Owner, http://www.tharel.net

Offline Lance

• Styrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 06:53:20 am »
And the more people that come the bigger the rewards/prizes can be..

Iiiii think lance will set up one of them "pick a duck, any duck" lucky prize things.. and juggle on the side^^ .. . and buy eeeevery collectable item in the fair *drool*.

Durion

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 11:29:11 am »
I think this is a great idea, i'm going to set up a kissing booth with Taliesin!! :D

Offline Timalia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 04:00:05 pm »
Now I'm looking for commitment!!!

Immortals - will you show up for a banquet?  Please give me windows when it would be possible for you to be here (messages here?)

Mortals - will you run a booth?  do you want a simple restring done for you?  a food item?  Please note Tima with your booth room description and item desc.  I'm still thinking of Sat Aug 25.  Late evening server time, but when could YOU be here????

My own schedule is pretty open yet

Offline Lance

• Styrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 05:19:02 pm »
I assume i'll be around.. not like i do much else :P Aaaand will definitely try to hold a booth, albeit not the most rp-intense but still.. prizes are fun right? *Sage*

Cant wait! :D